Sunday, September 07, 2008

Skirt and Shrug by Charisse Van Horn


Here is a picture of my daughter in a pink and black crochet skirt and shrug that I designed. I really enjoy making crochet skirts. They are easy to whip up, and with a few simple embellishments you can also convert ponchos into skirts. Some of the crochet skirts I design could very easily be used as ponchos. However, I don't tend to use crochet skirts as ponchos because I love to add fringe and beads to ponchos.

I don't write down patterns, I really should but I am simply too much of a multi tasker (at this stage in my life) and tend to try to crochet as fast and as quickly as I can. I work from home and have two toddlers. Yet, I seem to be able to keep my patterns all in my mind, so that's cool.

When I was younger, I read a book called the Woodstock Craftsman's Manual by Jean Young. The book was a true inspiration to me in regards of breaking away from patterns and letting your own creativity come forth when crafting- no matter what the style. I had once met a woman who made those neat little friendship bracelets, but hers where much more detailed than the four or six strands of woven embroidery floss. When I asked her for some tips, she told me that whatever she feels like doing, she does. She just always makes sure she does it on both sides. After making a series of my own really wild, and intricately designed friendship bracelets, I was hooked on her theory.

So, today, I pretty much use the same philosophy in my skirts. I always start my skirts the same way- with a waistband that I will add buttons to. Here is a picture of one of my skirt waistband's in progress. I like this technique as it is easy to adjust the waist band should the wearer gain or lose weight. :-)

Ok, more to come,

Charisse

No comments:

St Patrick's Day Women's Sweater. Save $50.