About.com Crochet: Most Popular Articles
These articles are the most popular over the last month.
- Free Crochet Patterns Index A to Z List
Did you know there are so many free patterns? Extensive listing of places to find a wide variety of different types of free crochet patterns on the Web. Many categories listed to make it easier to find the type you're looking for.
- Learn How Crochet Basics Resources and Very Easy Beginner Free Starter Patterns
You can teach yourself to crochet with these step-by-step photo tutorials for very beginners, then practice with the free beginner patterns.
- Links To Learn Crochet Stitches Techniques Step By Step With Photos Or Diagrams
Where to find diagrams, step-by-step photo how-to's, instructions for making various crochet stitches, using different techniques and help for beginners.
- How To Single Crochet
Photos showing the steps for making a single crochet stitch. Learn how to crochet.
- Crochet Starting Chain How-To
Step-by-step photos show in easy steps how to make a starting chain for crochet, which is the first step for learning crocheting. If you've ever thought about learning how to crochet, this is the place to start.
- Free Patterns For Crocheted Scarves
A list of web pages that contain free patterns for crochet scarves.
- Learn Crochet Basics
Someone who has never crocheted before can follow the links on this page to learn the basics. Tutorials can also be handy for crocheters to brush up on their skills. Links to free easy patterns for beginners are also listed.
- Guide To One Hundred Free Charts On This Site Hearts Flowers Sealife And More
This page tells you where to find all the many free charts that are on this site, listed by category such as animals, birds, flowers, sealife, mythical and more.
- Corner Start Fan Dishcloth
At About Crochet: A dishcloth in a fan shape, that is started in one corner and worked diagonally along two sides of the crocheted piece.
- Easy Single Crochet Scarf Beginner's Free Pattern
Free pattern for a scarf that is easy enough for anyone who is a beginner to crocheting. I have added a full explanation of the instructions for each row. By following this pattern, you can learn about the most basic crochet abbreviations, beginning pattern reading and understand how to do some of the most common instructions that you will find in every pattern.
- Lacy Lapghan or Baby Blanket Sized Afghan Free Crochet Easy Pattern With How-To Photos For Beginners
With easy double crochet and chain stitches, crochet this lacy-looking afghan from the free pattern. Extra photos with close-up of stitches used.
- Baby Blanket Shells & Clusters
A shells and clusters design in a soft sport weight baby yarn. Free pattern directions with extra photos to help you learn how to crochet the shell and cluster combination.
- How to Make a Double Crochet Stitch
Photo and instructions on how to make a double crochet stitch.
- Beginner Blanket Pattern
Free pattern to crochet an easy baby blanket. This size can also be used as a lapghan. The directions are written out in full words (no abbreviations) to help beginning crocheters.
- Free Patterns For Crocheted Shawls and Wraps - Triangle Shape - Prayer Shawls - Other Shawl Designs and Shapes
A list of web pages that contain free patterns for crochet shawls in a variety of shapes, such as triangles, prayer shawls in rectangle shapes, ruana and fashion wraps.
- Beret Hats
List of links to free crochet patterns around the Internet, for hat patterns, divided by type of hat, such as beret, newsboy or front brim styles.
- Advanced Beginners
A selection of free pattern links for the crochet skill level of advanced beginner; someone who knows some crochet basics and is ready to learn more. Many of the link descriptions include an extra link to a how-to that will help the beginning crocheter learn how to do a certain part of that pattern.
- Crocheted Dog Fashions
A selection of links to free patterns for crocheted dog fashions. Crochet sweaters for dogs that are sizes from small to large. Some of the pattern pages have photos of a sweater modeled by dog breeds such as Jack Russell Terrier, Schnauzer and Chihuahua.
- Non-sew Methods for Joining Squares and Ways of Sewing Motifs Together
Tips on some different sew and non-sew ways to join crochet pieces, with photo illustrations.
- Granny Squares
The Granny Square is popular with crocheters on the Web. See where to find free online Granny Square patterns.
- Easy Beginner Projects Dishcloth and Doll Blanket with Basic Stitches No Abbreviations Extra Details Help
Projects with basic stitches and extra explanation for beginning crocheters. The instructions are spelled out, not abbreviated
- How To Do The Crazy Stitch With Photos and Pattern Instructions
Photos and instructions for learning how to crochet the crazy shell stitch.
- Cardigans Free Patterns
A list of links to free patterns for crocheted cardigan sweaters.
- Shells and V's Scarf Pattern
An easy scarf pattern with shell stitches and V-stitches. Free crochet instructions, including a larger photo with a closer look at the stitches used in crocheting this design.
- Christmas Ornaments
A list of links to free patterns for crocheted ornaments for Christmas tree decorations. Links are divided by type and by theme, for instance, animal theme ornaments.
- Easy Extra Long Scalloped Edge Scarf Free Crochet Pattern For Fashion Wrap Styles
An easy pattern to crochet, for a stylish scarf in an extra long style. It has scalloped edges and lends itself to many possibilities for ways to wrap it for various looks.
- Crocheted Snowflakes
At About Crochet: A list of links to free patterns for crocheted snowflakes and some ideas for uses.
- Halloween Free Patterns Pumpkin Black Cat Witch Ghost Bat Skulls Spider
Looking for Halloween theme free patterns? Where to find free crochet patterns on the Web, as well as links to some other types of free craft patterns (beadwork, cross stitch, jewelrymaking, knitting, sewing).
- How to Weave in Ends
Photos showing how to weave in the ends when you are finished with a crochet project.
- Making Oval Shaped Items and Rag Rug Directions
Pattern for an oval rag rug, crocheted from fabric strips and instructions for making oval shapes for other items, such as a purse bottom or a placemat.
- Easy Lacy Double Shells Scarf
Free pattern. This scarf is crocheted with easy double crochet and chain stitches. Extra photos with close-up of stitches used.
- Edging Free Patterns
A listing of free crochet patterns for many various types of crocheted edgings.
- How To Crochet A Skinny Scarf
This is a great how to crochet pattern for beginners but it is also enjoyable for experienced crocheters who are looking for a quick project. This quick, easy scarf is worked in long rows. A length for fringe is left at the beginning and end of the rows, so there is no weaving in of ends in this pattern!
- How To Embroider A Decorative Blanket Stitch Edging
A how-to, with photos, shows the steps for learning how to do the blanket stitch edging. Illustrations show this stitch added to a crocheted piece, added using a large-eye sewing needle threaded with a strand of yarn.
- Top 10 Free Patterns Last Week
The most popular free crochet patterns for last week, for links that are listed on the About Crochet site.
- Front or Back Loop Only
Photo showing what part of the stitch is crocheted in when a pattern says to crochet in back loop only or front loop only.
- Capes and Capelets
Links to free crochet patterns for fashion capes and capelets.
- The Sandi Marshall Cape
At About Crochet: A cape with a scalloped pineapple edging design. Photo examples of the cape crocheted through different stages of the pattern directions. Link to the free crochet pattern.
- Stripes Skinny Scarf
At About Crochet: Another easy free pattern for a skinny scarf. This one is in a stripes design. Great for beginning crocheters to learn basics.
- Doll Blanket Pattern For Beginners and V-Stitch Photo How-To
Free pattern to crochet a doll blanket, sized for eighteen inch dolls, with photos showing how to do the stitches and extra explanation for beginners learning to crochet.
- How to Decrease
Step-by-step photos show how to single crochet two stitches together for a decrease.
- Christmas Tree Ball Ornaments
At About Crochet: A list of links to free patterns for crocheted ornaments for Christmas tree decorations. This list features covers for satin ball ornaments and round stuffed crocheted tree decorations.
- Free Patterns For Crocheted Flower Appliques Motifs or Three Dimensional Flowers
A list of web pages that contain free patterns for crochet flower appliques or three dimensional flowers. Crocheted appliques are popular for sewing as embellishments to purses or clothing. They can also be made into refrigerator magnets. Some appliques are suitable for making into pins or barrettes.
- Triangles Scarf
An openwork design gives the look of little triangles on this scarf pattern. A fancy fringe in a tied pattern completes the scarf look. There's a link to the free pattern and additional photos showing the scarf worn as a wide sash belt and a closeup look at some of the stitches used to crochet the pattern.
- Shell Triangles Afghan Free Crochet Pattern - Three Sizes - Lapghan Throw and Full-Size
Free pattern to crochet an afghan with openwork and solid sections forming triangle shaped patterning.
- Easy Lacy Shells Scarf
With easy double crochet and chain stitches, crochet this easy scarf from the free pattern. Extra photos with close-up of stitches used.
- Free Original Patterns Designed by Guide Sandi Marshall
Free crochet patterns designed by Sandi Marshall, afghans, handbags, towel toppers, teddy bear outfits, sachet bag, charts for filet crochet and for cross-stitch, plus much more.
- Free Reindeer Head Ornament Pattern - Christmas Tree Decoration
Free pattern for a crocheted reindeer ornament, Christmas tree decoration.
- Butterfly Stitch Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial
Photos and step-by-step instructions for crocheting the butterfly stitch.
- Shell and Cluster Scarf Free Pattern
Free pattern for a crocheted scarf, made with shell and cluster stitches, including photos, showing how to make a shell and a cluster and all pattern instructions.
- Checkered Alphabet Index of Free Charts To Individual Letters For Cross-Stitch or Filet Adaptable for Other Needlework
Index page with links to free charts for letters of the checkered alphabet, for cross-stitch or filet crochet, adaptable for other needlework.
- Shell Stitch Basics and Free Shell Pattern Links
What is a shell stitch? Where can I find free patterns that use shell stitches? Answers here.
- Textured Fingerless Gloves or Arm Warmer - Free Crochet Pattern
These are very comfy and are useful as wrist and arm warmers or fingerless gloves. Free crochet pattern.
- Rose Free Patterns
Free patterns for crocheted items that have a rose in the design. Links are arranged by type of item, such as accessories, clothing, doilies, hats, handbags.
- Monet Color Blocks Scarf
Free pattern to crochet a scarf with an openwork design, crocheted in color sections.
- Ripening Pumpkin Fall Theme Afghan Square
Instructions to make an afghan square with a Fall theme ripening pumpkin design. The pattern is crocheted in single crochet and long sc.
- Crocheting With Beads
Methods for crocheting with beads. Beads can add that special touch to your crocheted projects. Also, where to find free bead crochet patterns around the Web.
- Connected Hearts Design
This is a crocheted triangle shaped shawl in a hearts design, made in filet crochet.
- Edgings For Afghans
A selection of links to free patterns for crocheted edgings that are suitable for use as afghan edgings.
- Rag Rugs Basics
Crocheting with fabric basics: what type of fabric, how wide strips should be, how to join the strips, etc.
- Easy Halter Top Pattern
Free Halter Top pattern that's easy enough for a beginner and great for experienced crocheters who want a quick project.
- Shells and Waves Medium Scarf
Free pattern instructions to crochet a medium width scarf in a pretty shell stitch design.
- Roll or Bullion Stitch How-To
How to crochet the roll stitch, (also called bullion stitch).
- How to Make a Half Double Crochet Stitch
Photo and instructions on how to make a half double crochet stitch.
- Shells Leaf Applique
At About Crochet: A leaf shape that has shell stitches within the design.
- Crocheting Cables Photo How-To and Free Pattern For Cable Worked Over Four Stitches
Instructions, with photo how-tos, for crocheting cables. Free pattern for practice, with a cable worked over four stitches.
- Bolero Crochet Patterns
A resource for finding patterns for crocheted boleros. Links to free patterns and a listing of bolero patterns that can be purchased online.
- Learn How to Do the Popcorn Stitch
Diagrams and instructions for the crocheted popcorn stitch.
- How To Decrease and Increase In Afghan Stitch Also Called Tunisian Crochet
Photos and instructions showing how to do an increase or a decrease in crochet afghan stitch.
- Scarf In Crocheted Pineapple Stitch Free Pattern With A Stained Glass Look Example
A crocheted scarf, inspired by the antique pineapple crochet stitch. Made with worsted weight yarn. Free pattern.
- Teddy Bear Pattern
Free crochet pattern for a teddy bear.
- Northwoods Skinny Scarf Free Pattern
Free pattern for a narrow style scarf with a Northwoods stitch light texture design.
- Changing Colors How To
How to change colors when crocheting, with diagrams and hints.
- Stairsteps Texture and Open Path Afghan Free Pattern Crocheted in One Piece
I combined the designs of two of my updown afghan squares and wrote directions for crocheting as a one-piece afghan. There are lines of texture patterning with open path portions.
- Where to Find Free Patterns for Cloche Style Hats Also History of This Flapper Era Hat Style
Where to find free crochet hat patterns on the Web, in a cloche fashion style, along with links to the history of flapper era cloche hats.
- How to Get Started in Filet Crochet
This feature explains the basics of filet crochet, with illustrations; how to read a diagram included.
- Photos on How to do the Lovers Knot Stitch also called Solomons or Hail Stone
How to crochet the knot stitch, also called lovers knot, solomons knot or hail stone. Pictures show the steps.
- Daffodils Filet Table Runner
Free chart and instructions to crochet a table runner with a daffodil design.
- Basic Crochet Stitches
At About Crochet: A list of the most basic stitches used in crocheting. Links to instructions for learning how to do those crochet stitches.
- Lacy Pattern How-To Photos
This series of close-up photos can be used for reference when crocheting the Lacy Lapghan or Baby Blanket pattern. Stitches are marked on the photos and extra explanation and hints are given to help beginners learn how to crochet this pattern.
- Free Crochet Pattern - Bell Towel Topper with Solomans Knot Stitches
I've combined the airy knot stitch with solid stitches on a two-tone, bell-shaped towel topper design.
- Cathedral Windows Square
Free pattern: This design reminds me of Cathedral Windows. Instructions to make six inch and eight inch squares.
- Shawl Wrap In Crocheted Spider Lace and Blocks Design Free Pattern
A clothing free pattern for a crocheted shawl or wrap, with a lace design, similar to the Spider Lace and Blocks Afghan Square pattern on this same crochet site. Made with worsted weight yarn.
- Double Triple Treble Stitches
A how-to, with drawings, for crocheting treble stitches.
- Santa Cat Ornament and Pillow
A cat in a Santa hat design, an original by Sandi Marshall, worked from a color chart. Cross-stitch or crochet it with color changes. Make it in thread for an ornament or with yarn for a pillow. Free chart and instructions.
- How To Do Texture Front and Back Post Stitches and Textured Dishcloth Pattern
How-to's for the post stitches; also, try out the textured dishcloth crochet pattern in this feature.
- Shells and Waves Skinny Scarf
Instructions for the finishing touches for the crocheted Shells and Waves scarf, including a photo showing a closeup look at making fringe.
- Easy Edging with Spaces for Weaving in Ribbon
Free instructions for crocheting an easy edging that has spaces for weaving ribbon through, if desired.
- Learn How to do the Reverse Single Crochet also called the Crab Stitch
How-to for the reverse single crochet stitch, also called the crab stitch, a favorite for edgings.
- How To Do The Star Stitch Free Crochet Tutorial
A step-by-step photo how-to for crocheting the star stitch, also called a marguerite or spiked cluster.
- Aran Patterns
Free patterns for crocheted items in an aran design. Texture stitches, and sometimes cables, are used in these patterns. Afghans, hats, scarves, sweaters and more.
- Learn the 1917 Pineapple Stitch With Photos and Pattern Instructions Great For Scrap Yarn Afghans
Photos and instructions for learning how to crochet the pineapple stitch, as printed in a 1917 publication. This is not the shape-of-pineapple pattern but a stitch worked in rows that is great for scrap yarn afghans.
- Moss Stitch
How to crochet the moss stitch.
- Granny Square Wrist Warmer Fingerless Gloves Wrist Band Free Pattern
A crocheted granny square style decorative wrist band. Crocheted with worsted weight yarn. Free pattern.
- Child Size Crocheted Cape
A crocheted cape in a lacy design sized for small children. Free crochet pattern directions.
- Hearts Center Filet Doily with Cluster Edging Free Instructions
Choose the filet crochet chart you'd like to use for the center of this doily from the variety given, then follow the step-by-step photo how-to for making the cluster stitch edging.
- Six Sided Two Rnd Granny Motif
A small shaped motif with six sides, made in a granny style. Instructions and photo.
- Two-Layer Irish Rose Free Pattern
How to crochet a two layer Irish rose. Includes photos.
- Orange Vanilla Wrist Warmer Pattern With Chain Weaving Design
A crocheted granny square style decorative wrist band, with colors inspired by a favorite ice cream treat. Crocheted with worsted weight yarn. Free pattern.
- Panels Afghan Full Size or Lapghan MAM Mile A Minute Type Of Pattern
Make a lapghan or full-size afghan from easy-to-carry-along panels. Free crochet pattern, that is easy and includes a link to extra photos that will help in crocheting this design.